"" MaDDI: OKL Challenge - Day Six: One Kings Lane + Blu Dot

Thursday, October 25, 2012

OKL Challenge - Day Six: One Kings Lane + Blu Dot

Day Six! And man, was it a killer day on One Kings Lane. Apparently, I was not alone in noticing the abundance of awesomeness emanating from my computer screen. By the time I got to check out today's sales (around 11:30), about half my favorite items were sold out or in another member's cart. This faux antler wall mount for $69! I wanted so badly to buy it and slap it up on Ryan's bookshelf. My plan was to copy the fabulous Emily Henderson and hang a vintage frame around it, like this:
Photograph by Bethany Naurte. Styling by Emily Henderson.

To ensure I never again miss out on a rocking set of faux antlers, I have issued an A.P.B. to my colleagues that I will henceforth be unavailable for 11 a.m. meetings due to a standing conflict.

I know we can all hear the tiniest violin in the world playing for me, but let's back to business. I'm going to try something a little different today with my mood boards. I like the challenge of digging through OKL sales for vintage or globally-sourced pieces that would work well in a modern home. That's what inspired me to commit to this 30-day challenge in the first place! But unless there's a sale especially devoted to replicas of (or even vintage original) mid-century modern pieces, my mood boards sometimes turn out just a shade antiqueier (yup, that's a word now) or more gypsy-caravan than I'd like.

I like an interior that's fresher, crisper and younger. And no one's got dibs on fresh, crisp and young quite like Blu Dot. Blu Dot also has their annual "20% off everything" sale going down right now, so this post is particularly timely. My plan for today is to mix-and-match items available from today's sales on One Kings Lane with pieces from Blu Dot. (Given that most people are unlikely to furnish an apartment from scratch all in a day's one-stop online shopping, showing how One Kings Lane pieces can be worked into an existing modern decor scheme is probably more instructive.) Here goes!

Mountain House Entry

Riffing on OKL's Winter Lodge theme, I designed an entry for my dream mountain house in "winter white" and brass. (A question for Fashionistas: is there a legitimate difference between winter white and summer white? Or is that just what you call it after labor day to dodge anachronistic sartorial conventions? This is a serious question. I have oft wondered.)
Sources (All items from today's One Kings Lane sales available through 10/28; All Blu Dot items marked at current sale price.)
1. Bromley Sconce, One Kings Lane - $199
2. Mirror Mirror - Small, Blu Dot - $359.20
3. Vintage Brass Coat Hook, One Kings Lane - $49
4. Teak Wood Bowl, Large One Kings Lane - $25
5. Norfolk Magazine Organizer, One Kings Lane - $39
6. Dang Media Stand, Blu Dot - $719.20


Mountain House Bedroom

Moving right on into the bedroom, where I might crash after a full day skiing, assuming that I skied. (And assuming that some @******* [please use your imagination, I promised my mother I wouldn't swear on our shared blog] hadn't bought those antlers out from under me.)
Sources (All items from today's One Kings Lane sales available through 10/28; All Blu Dot items marked at current sale price.)
1. Antler Wall Mount, One Kings Lane - $69
2. Fallow Deer Antler Mount, One Kings Lane - $79
3. Rook Lamp, Blu Dot - $159.20 (Note: I replaced the standard white shade with a black shade in the image above.)
4. S/3 Theodric Galvanized Trunks, One Kings Lane - $175
5. Woodrow Full Bed, Blu Dot - $1,119.20


Mountain House Living

For kicking back and reading books about fishin', huntin' and other such activities.
Sources (All items from today's One Kings Lane sales available through 10/28; All Blu Dot items marked at current sale price.)
1. Ribbed Metal Hanging Pendant, One Kings Lane - $99
2. I Like It, What Is It?, Blu Dot - $79.20
3. Ames Deer Plaque, One Kings Lane - $85
4. Persian Rug Pillow Cover, One Kings Lane - $249
5. Natural Cowhide Pillow, Room & Board - $109 (Only item that's not from OKL or Blu Dot!)
6. Paramount Right Sectional, Pebble, Blu Dot - $2,559.20
7. Pi Coffee Table, Blu Dot - $479.20
8. Amber & Wood Hurricane, One Kings Lane - $49


Mountain House Study

A Mondrian-inspire study for those days when work (or Pinterest) keeps me off the slopes...

Sources (All items from today's One Kings Lane sales available through 10/28; All Blu Dot items marked at current sale price.)
1. Smooth Metal Pendant Lamp, One Kings Lane - $99
2. Jean Rouille, Tie, One Kings Lane - $69
3. Pair of Bear Bookends, One Kings Lane - $59
4. Real Good Chair, Blu Dot - $111.20
5. Modu-licious Deskette, Blu Dot - $719.20


City Crash Pad Entry

And back to home-sweet-Brooklyn after a long weekend of doin' whatever people do at mountain houses.
Sources (All items from today's One Kings Lane sales available through 10/28; All Blu Dot items marked at current sale price.)
1. Splash Coat Rack, Gray, Blu Dot - $223.20
2. Devin Table Lamp, One Kings Lane - $189
3. Rectangular Tray, Tan, One Kings Lane - $169
4. Source Parot, One Kings Lane - $69
5. Strut Console Table, Watermelon, Blu Dot - $359.20


Toro Lounge Chair - His and Hers

I love Blu Dot's Toro Chair so much, I styled it twice. Once for Him, once for Her (whomever They are).

HIS



Sources (All items from today's One Kings Lane sales available through 10/28; All Blu Dot items marked at current sale price.)
1. Flask Table Lamp, Black, Blu Dot - $159.20
2. Navajo Germantown Mat, One Kings Lane $599
3. Toro Lounge Chair, Night, Blu Dot - $879.20
4. Coin Garden Stool, Orange, One Kings Lane - $129

HERS




Sources (All items from today's One Kings Lane sales available through 10/28; All Blu Dot items marked at current sale price.)
1. Hanging Wire Lamp, One Kings Lane - $39
2. Crackle Celadon Pomegranate Vase, One Kings Lane - $99
3. Weiluc, Le Frou-Frou, One Kings Lane - $69
4. Toro Lounge Chair, Day, Blu Dot - $879.20

No comments:

Post a Comment