"" MaDDI: A Colorful 2013

Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Colorful 2013

Thank goodness for family (and friends that are like family.) Yes, they love and support you, but they also tell you when you're in a funk. And I have been in a serious funk, readers-- a neutrals funk.

After Christmas Eve dinner, when my honorary godmother mentioned that my posts of late were notably lacking in bright hues, I went through my archives and confirmed it. The funny thing is, I think of myself as a lover of color. But somehow over the past couple months, I fell into a pit of black, white and greige.

So one of my New Years' resolutions is to incorporate more color into my blog posts. To ease into it, I thought I'd start with one of my favorite applications: a shock of bright, saturated color in an otherwise neutral environment.

It's a fun technique for highlighting architectural elements or defining distinct spaces:

Source: Desire to Inspire
Source: Coco + Kelly
Source: Desire to Inspire
Source: Desire to Inspire
Source: RedOnline.co.uk via Pinterest
Source: 05 AM Arquitectura (Photo credit: Jose Hevia) via Trendir.com
Source: Dezeen via Pinterest

And it's also a nifty, counter intuitive trick for distracting the eye from what might otherwise be unsightly or architecturally strange. The chartreuse refrigerator cabinet is brilliant-- it's always irked me how counter-depth integrated fridges create a weird lip between the refrigerator cabinet and the wall cabinets. But slap some wildly colored paint on it and suddenly it's a "design statement" rather than a depth incongruity. Ditto with the red radiator-- some pre-war radiators can be horrifying. But when I look at this one, all I can think is, "oooooh, RED!"

Source: Eduardo's Tiny Sanctuary via Apartment Therapy Small/Cool 2011
Source: Victoria Smith, SFBayGirl via Pinterest

Renters with leases that forbid painting, stay tuned for inspiration on how to achieve the same effect with furniture, lighting and textiles.

Happy 2013, all! I hope it's a bright one.


No comments:

Post a Comment