"" MaDDI: Leather (Pull) Fetish, Continued...

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Leather (Pull) Fetish, Continued...

In January, I wrote of my interest in Leather Pulls, and after doing my research began a DIY project for pulls on newly installed and painted cabinet doors.  Wondering where to get the leather, I noticed that some baskets I owned and used as storage in bookshelves had leather straps on the front side and backside of the baskets. I decided I would try making handles from those I had to hand.


I removed the handles from the storage baskets and readied them to be attached to the door.


My thought was to double them and use four screws to fill the holes that were already on the leather straps. I  hoped to find rustic screws with interesting looking heads because they would be exposed. I tried carpet tacks, which did not hold when pulling open the door. Screws looked unfinished.

At this point, I became skeptical of my ability follow through on this project and I needed to get into the closets! I started shopping the internet to see what pulls were available, be easier to intall and have a more finished look. I discovered Doug Mockett and Company had sturdy and attractive leather pulls with all the parts needed for installation. At 35.85 per handle, needing four brought up the cost of the hardware to 148.00. The four pulls (one shown below) arrived in four days.
I then measured the height I wanted them to be installed. The pulls came with screws, bolts and a decorative cap to cover the head of the screw.  The problem was that the door was thicker than the length of the screws and would need to be counter sunk. This was now beyond my limited drilling experience! It was time to call in the expert...

Nick Chepinkskas of NPC Carpentery. Nick is an excellent carpenter who works throughout the East End of Long Island and the creator of  the new doors. He came to the rescue in and about 5 minutes had the holes drilled, screws countersunk, bolts attached and the decorative caps installed. With a gentle pull the closet doors opened and all was looking great!  Thanks, Nick!


I learned my lesson: there are times when DIY just doesn't work and an expert must be called in.  It's OK to "Cry Uncle" and  pay up to get the job done right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment